5.3. Milter Stats Interpretation¶
Available from version 1.8.
milter.stats is a file located in
/opt/msh-traffic-policy/var/log/ directory, it contains information about internal message processing.
ActiveCount: 10 PoolSize: 10 CorePoolSize: 10 LargestPoolSize: 10 MaximumPoolSize: 20 TaskCount: 39039 CompletedTaskCount: 39038 CurrentQueueSize: 14 MaximumQueueSize: 20
Milter stats file by default is updated once per 60 seconds.
The approximate number of messages that are simultaneously processed by the application.
The number of messages that can be processed immediately without waiting in queue. If
CurrentQueueSize is less than
MaximumQueueSize then this value is equal
The core pool size, this value is always
MaximumPoolSize / 2.
The largest number of messages that have ever simultaneously been processed.
The maximum allowed number of messages which could be processed simultaneously, this value is set with
If higher value then more CPU application will use.
The approximate total number of messages that have ever been scheduled for processing.
The approximate total number of messages that have completed processing.
The current size of message queue.
These parameters are most important:
PoolSize shows how many messages can be processed simultaneously and immadiately. CurrentQueueSize shows how many messages are waiting in queue for processing.
How it works:
- If fewer than CorePoolSize messages are processed then application always prefers to work on a new arriving message than queing. How many messages is currently processed shows ActiveCount value.
- If ActiveCount is equal or more to CorePoolSize then application prefers queuing rather than work on a new message.
- If a message cannot be queued (CurrentQueueSize equal to MaximumQueueSize) then application start to work on a message and increase PoolSize unless exceed MaximumPoolSize.
5.3.4. When POOL_SIZE and QUEUE_SIZE need to be adjusted?¶
- PoolSize and CurrentQueueSize are 75% or more of their maximum
- there are SMFIC_OPTNEG connection timeout warnings in
- there are Message skipped from milter processing, no space in queue warnings in
QUEUE_SIZE should be increased.
5.3.5. Change interval when stats file is updated¶
milter.stats file is updated once per 60 seconds, interval can be changed with
/opt/msh-traffic-policy/etc/config.cf file and add this line:
XXX is a value in seconds, minimum value is one second.
msh-tp-milter service to apply changes: